Friday, June 27, 2008

About the Julie Mango

My friend, Sherry, was asking me about the Julie mango, so I decided to look it up. It made me laugh to see how much I am actually like the Julie Mango these days in light of the whole breast cancer extravaganza we're currently working our way through. So read on. My comments are in parenthesis.

Julie'
is the main mango exported from the West Indies to Europe. The fruit is somewhat flattened on one side (ironic), of medium size (nice I guess); the flesh is not completely fiberless but is of good flavor. It came to Florida from Trinidad (or perhaps from Ohio) but has long been popular in Jamaica. The tree is somewhat dwarf (of course, height is mentioned), has 30% to 50% hermaphrodite flowers; bears well and regularly. It is adaptable to humid environments and disease-resistant (I like this one) and the fruit is resistant to the fruit fly. 'Julie' has been grown in Ghana since the early 1920's. From 'Julie', the well-known mango breeder, Lawrence Zill, developed 'Carrie', but 'Julie' has not been planted in Florida for many years (or at least not in this last year since she's gone Caribbean for about a year now).

There you have it.

On a whole other note - keep Scott in prayer as he heads to China today to pick up our dear sweet Lilly. He will bring her home to Momma on July 10th.

Have a mango today on me.

Be blessed,

Julie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh you are too much Julie Mango! And coincidentally, I had MANGO salsa (homemade by my wonderfully talented hubby) with my grilled shrimp for dinner! Yummy! So I had the mango - keeping the Julie Mango spirit alive!

Funny you just started your blog - I actually started one today myself bc a bunch of the moms in my group have them. It's rough so far (one entry) but I will send you the link (when I get braver I will post it here!)

SOOO happy for you about Lilly - what wonderful amazing news! I will absolutely keep Scott in my prayers as he travels to bring her home and also Josh and his mom and group.

My little man is crying (bad teething episode as of late - he is producing liters of drool by the hour!) so off I go to be a mommy! :)

Miss you a lot - hope to see you again soon one day - I actually have a chance of seeing Ang now that she is on the East coast!

Love you!
Dirty Girl :)

Island Girl . . . who for now is stateside but will always be an island girl with a heart for the sea . . . said...

Thanks Kathleen. So good to hear from you again. Very excited about your pregnancy! Keep on producing them sister!

Love you lots & miss our sundays at the mall as the Dirty Girls